Tuesday, February 19, 2008

To the finish

With all the hub-bub about NASCAR in the south, every once in a while I do take note of a few things happening in the car racing world. Rather recently, the world’s leading seller of hybrid cars, Toyota, has announced they will be racing to win the world’s most challenging car race- Le Mans 24-hour race in 2010. The catch is, this time they are aiming to do this using a hybrid car. The car will be fitted with special capacitors and batteries to facilitate an extremely fast power supply and charging function. But this isn't really something new for Toyota; they have had success in the past. Toyota entered hybrids in the last two Tokachi 24-hour enduros in Japan- with a win last year. Toyota is hoping to promote its hybrid technology in Europe since its market presence is currently usurped there by diesel. Here's hoping this hybrid car can change the world of car racing. The last sport that I thought would "go green" is a sport entailing burning fuel for hours chasing others around in circles. I will be the first fan drive out to Charlotte for an all day event, to view a NASCAR event when all the entrants are hybrids. Did I ever mention one of my favorite movies is Talledega Nights? "Greatest Generation my ass. Tom Brokaw's a punk! Chip, I'm all jacked up on Mountain Dew!"

No comments: